Thursday, September 25, 2008

My little harvest

I went to visit Faith...and brought home a bunch of harvest season goods! Roughly 40 lbs. of peaches...which M'Adam helped me bottle and turn to jam! The jam was so yummy! Thanks to Faith's neighbor, who gave away boxes from her tree!
And each of these rows is a different type of apple, or a mix of two. CRAZY. I knew there were like 5... but apparently this wasn't even a big selection when I got online to see what each type was best for. I think I like having just 5. The fun part was that we drove to a little orchard outside of Safford and picked them ourselves! Faith got up in the tree- that was funny. I have to say I did discover one type of apple I recommend trying if you've never had it... the Elstar. MMMM!!! But after the peaches, I'm not sure I want to do the apples- they need to be done...who likes pie? Oh, and anyone that's tried dehydrating...any tips??

4 comments:

laurice. said...

OK what’s up with you knowing how to bottle??? I have no clue and am surrounded by people who bottle every year. It's intimidating to me!

Laydee said...

haha- it's not that bad! the fruit prep is the worst part... if you want to get into it...maybe you could do a 'bottling party' and invite people who know how... and tell them it's a bring a fruit or veggie gig. It's not real cheap, but it's fun and it lasts!

DeAnne Baum said...

Look at you being all domestic....I love it! I sure could use some peach jam (hint, hint) We also love pies!

faith celeste said...

Hello, I want a pie. I think you should come bring one, after all, I didi get in the tree you know. Would you please come make jam with my boxes of peaches too?